It was another exciting weekend for Bobs-Bicycles.com VeloWomen at two great venues!
#1: Tour of Ontario: The road racing squad took on the challenging Tour, which included a time trial, criterium, and circuit road race. This event was put on by one of our wonderful sponsors, Bobs-Bicycles.com. It was a terrific race; well organized, great location, and great volunteers. Thank you to the many Bobs-Bicycles.com VeloWomen who did not race, but volunteered and cheered us on at various stages. It was so nice to see smiling faces and hear familiar voices when energy was low.
Highlights from the race include:
- 3rd place overall for the Women’s Pro/Cat 1/2/3 – Heather Youngwerth! Heather stepped up her game and competed in the higher category for the Tour. She proved herself to be a strong competitor, notably coming in 1st in her category at the criterium. Congratulations, Heather and way to represent Bobs-Bicycles.com!
- 2nd place overall for the Women’s Cat 3/4 – Kristin Muchow! Kristin posted the fastest time for her category at the time trial stage and put on a solid performance to secure a podium finish.
- 3rd place overall for the Women’s Cat 3/4 – Kelsey Spiegel! Kelsey made up ground on the very challenging road race course, after a good finish at the criterium, to secure a 3rd place finish in her category.
- Honorable mentions – Sheila Barrett (4th), Tiedji Baker (5th), Lisa Kolesar (6th), Karen Doherty (5th in the time trial), Brooke Green (finish at her first criterium!), Kris Mannion (10th at the time trial), Khristine Miller (9th place after a fight to the finish of the road race!).
#2: Spring Sprint Triathlon: Several triathletes attacked the Spring Sprint to start the season off in good form. This event included a 750 yard swim, 12.5 mile bike, and 3.1 mile run.
Bobs-Bicycles VeloWomen representation included:
- Kristin Maughan – Kristin showed her true cycling skill by making up serious time after the swim portion. Many of those ahead of her after the swim found themselves quickly behind her as she raced her way to a strong running finish.
- Khristine Miller – Khrstine competed as a team for the Spring Sprint, and participated in the cycling portion. She and her teammates raced their way to a 3rd place finish overall, with Khristine posting the 2nd fastest team cycling time!
- Toni Ramey – After taking a short break from triathlon last year, Toni proved she hadn’t lost her edge. With a 4th place female finish overall and 1st place finish in her age group (!), Toni earned a personal best time at the race. Not bad for a self-proclaimed athlete “on the wrong side of 40”!
Thank you again sponsors, for your support this season. We feel privileged to partner with you as we compete in sports we love. Stay tuned for the next report after the Jason Broome Time Trial this weekend!